Tuesday 6 July 2010

Welcome!

Thank you for stopping by Geoff4Senate.com! I am running for the Rhode Island State Senate, in District 13, Newport and Jamestown. The seat is currently held by Teresa Paiva-Weed, who is also the Senate President. I decided to run for several reasons..

1) I am a legal immigrant who became a US Citizen. While the process may be slow, with a bit of patience, citizenship is acheivable!

2)The disgraceful way Paiva-Weed blocked the e-verify bill in the Senate, was my last straw. There is nothing unreasonable about an employer asking if you are qualified to work in the USA. It is also nonsense how people complain about immigrants having to carry their 'papers' in case they are asked to present them! I have had a green card. It is barely the size of a credit card and slips easily into a wallet or purse. The card also states "CARRY THIS CARD AT ALL TIMES". Yes, I have been stopped, and I have been asked to 'prove I am legally in the US.' I can assure you it has never been an inconvenience!

3) Rhode Island started the fiscal year $100 million in the red.. $100,000,000. The folks on Smith Hill were hoping for a magic pill to fix the problem, using stimulus money from the federal government. Without getting into depth about the Federal deficit, we - the good people of the USA are getting taxed on both sides of the coin.

4) Our representatives serve at the good grace of the people. It seems this grace isn't returned.. Are you fed up that you make phone calls to your representatives that are ignored.?! I was!

We need to turn the tide!

House Speaker Gordon Fox(D - Providence) said it quite ably during the last session.. "There comes a time, you just know it's time. It's time."

Yes it is Time.. It is time for us to elect people who care about the state, it's people, it's future. I hope you will join me and vote for a better direction in November!


No comments:

Post a Comment